First Annual Advent Calendar 2020
The Saratoga Whiskey Club did its first ever Advent Calendar for 2020!! We had 48 Calendars in total go out to members and friends. Here is the list of whiskey that we have tasted so far. This is a blind calendar, so each day’s whiskey will be released at 9pm.
- Elijah Craig Barrel Proof Bourbon C920 (Fall Release), 66.4% ABV
- Glenmorangie A Tale of Cake, 46% ABV
- Amrut Single Malt Indian Whisky – Cask Strength – 61.8% ABV
- Method and Madness Single Pot Still Irish Whiskey – Finished in French Chestnut – 46% ABV
- Arran Sherry Cask ‘The Bodega’ – 55.8% ABV
- Pinhook Straight Bourbon Whiskey – Store Pick from Gordon’s – 57.25% ABV
- Nikka Days – 40% ABV
- Penderyn Portwood Single Malt Welsh Whisky – 46% ABV
- Tomatin Cask Strength Single Malt Scotch – 57.5% ABV
- New Riff Single Barrel Rye – 57% ABV
- Talisker Port Ruighe Single Malt Scotch – 45.8% ABV
- Drumshanbo Single Pot Still Irish Whiskey (Inaugural Release) – 46% ABV
- Four Roses Single Barrel Bourbon – Barrel Strength – Gordon’s Pick – 62.2% ABV
- Glenallachie 10 Year Cask Strength Single Malt Scotch – Batch 3 – 58.2% ABV
- Mars Maltage “Cosmo” Japanese Whisky – Blended Malt Whisky – 43% ABV
- Starward Australian Whisky – Single Cask Release – Astor – 55.8% ABV
- The Lakes Single Malt Whisky – The Whiskymaker’s Edition: Colheita – 52% ABV
- Glenfarclas 15 Year Single Malt Scotch – 46% ABV
- Waterford Rathclogh (a) & Dunmore (b) Single Malt Irish Whiskey – 50% ABV
- Maker’s Mark Private Select Bourbon – Bayway Store Pick – 54.3% ABV
- Edradour Caledonia 12 Year Single Malt Scotch – 46% ABV
- Smoke Wagon Straight Bourbon Whiskey – Private Barrel – Bayway Liquors – 58.76% ABV
- Barrel Craft Spirits Rye – Cask Strength – Batch 1 – 58.5% ABV
Stay tuned for each day’s announcement!
Tasting #58: Kaiyo Whisky
On Wednesday, August 26th, the Saratoga Whiskey Club had its 58th tasting. Jay Cole from Kaiyo Whisky joined us on a Zoom call to go over their Japanese brand and whisky portfolio. It was great having the Whisky Pirate join us for this story and really great whiskies.
Here is what we tasted:
- Kaiyo Japanese Mizunara Oak
- Kaiyo Japanese Mizunara Oak Cask Strength
- Kaiyo 7 Year The Single
- Kaiyo The Sheri 2nd Edition
- Kaiyo The Peated 2nd Edition
32 members were online using Zoom for this really fun tasting. Thank you, Jay!!
For scores, please visit our Scores page.
Tasting #32 Recap: For Peat’s Sake
On Wednesday, April 10th, and Thursday, April 25th, the Saratoga Whiskey Club had its first tasting that just focused on peat. We have had plenty of peated whiskies before, but they were usually from one area (Islay), so this tasting was different in that we had Speyside, Highlands, Japan and of course Islay. We also paired each whisky with different smoked snacks. There were 28 members in attendance.
Here is a list of the whiskies we tasted:
- Glenfiddich’s Fire & Cane – paired with Applewood smoked salame
- Ancnoc Cutter – paired with smoked Gouda and aged Cheddar
- Kaiyo The Peated – paired with Teriyaki beef jerky
- Port Charlotte 10 Year – paired with smoked mussels
- SMWS 10.118 ‘Enthralling pink and peat intensity’ – Bunnahabhain 10 Year – paired with smoked trout and smoked salmon
For scores from the tasting, please go to Scores.
Two fun evenings of education and great whisky. Cheers!
Tasting #28 Recap: Japanese Ramen Dinner & Whisky
On Wednesdays, February 6 & 13, the Saratoga Whiskey Club had two really fun evenings at Hamlet & Ghost in Saratoga Springs. The focus of the dinner and tasting was Japanese Whisky, many of it brought back from Japan during the Saratoga Whiskey Club Trip to Japan in November of 2018.
The evening started with a Sapporo beer and potstickers. This was follow by a full Ramen dinner course and 9 Japanese whiskies. Five of the 9 whiskies were brought from Japan. There were 38 members in attendance.
Here is a list of the whiskies we tasted:
- Yamazaki 12 Year
- Hakushu 12 Year
- Hibiki Japanese Harmony Masters Select
- Nikka Tsuru
- Ichiro’s Malt Mizunara Wood Reserve
- Mars Komagatake Limited Edition 2018
- Akashi Eigashima White Oak Sake Cask 3 Year
- Nikka From The Barrel
- Kaiyo Cask Strength
For scores from the tasting, please go to Scores
Here are some photos from the evenings: