Tasting #32 Recap: For Peat’s Sake
On Wednesday, April 10th, and Thursday, April 25th, the Saratoga Whiskey Club had its first tasting that just focused on peat. We have had plenty of peated whiskies before, but they were usually from one area (Islay), so this tasting was different in that we had Speyside, Highlands, Japan and of course Islay. We also paired each whisky with different smoked snacks. There were 28 members in attendance.
Here is a list of the whiskies we tasted:
- Glenfiddich’s Fire & Cane – paired with Applewood smoked salame
- Ancnoc Cutter – paired with smoked Gouda and aged Cheddar
- Kaiyo The Peated – paired with Teriyaki beef jerky
- Port Charlotte 10 Year – paired with smoked mussels
- SMWS 10.118 ‘Enthralling pink and peat intensity’ – Bunnahabhain 10 Year – paired with smoked trout and smoked salmon
For scores from the tasting, please go to Scores.
Two fun evenings of education and great whisky. Cheers!