First Annual Advent Calendar 2020
The Saratoga Whiskey Club did its first ever Advent Calendar for 2020!! We had 48 Calendars in total go out to members and friends. Here is the list of whiskey that we have tasted so far. This is a blind calendar, so each day’s whiskey will be released at 9pm.
- Elijah Craig Barrel Proof Bourbon C920 (Fall Release), 66.4% ABV
- Glenmorangie A Tale of Cake, 46% ABV
- Amrut Single Malt Indian Whisky – Cask Strength – 61.8% ABV
- Method and Madness Single Pot Still Irish Whiskey – Finished in French Chestnut – 46% ABV
- Arran Sherry Cask ‘The Bodega’ – 55.8% ABV
- Pinhook Straight Bourbon Whiskey – Store Pick from Gordon’s – 57.25% ABV
- Nikka Days – 40% ABV
- Penderyn Portwood Single Malt Welsh Whisky – 46% ABV
- Tomatin Cask Strength Single Malt Scotch – 57.5% ABV
- New Riff Single Barrel Rye – 57% ABV
- Talisker Port Ruighe Single Malt Scotch – 45.8% ABV
- Drumshanbo Single Pot Still Irish Whiskey (Inaugural Release) – 46% ABV
- Four Roses Single Barrel Bourbon – Barrel Strength – Gordon’s Pick – 62.2% ABV
- Glenallachie 10 Year Cask Strength Single Malt Scotch – Batch 3 – 58.2% ABV
- Mars Maltage “Cosmo” Japanese Whisky – Blended Malt Whisky – 43% ABV
- Starward Australian Whisky – Single Cask Release – Astor – 55.8% ABV
- The Lakes Single Malt Whisky – The Whiskymaker’s Edition: Colheita – 52% ABV
- Glenfarclas 15 Year Single Malt Scotch – 46% ABV
- Waterford Rathclogh (a) & Dunmore (b) Single Malt Irish Whiskey – 50% ABV
- Maker’s Mark Private Select Bourbon – Bayway Store Pick – 54.3% ABV
- Edradour Caledonia 12 Year Single Malt Scotch – 46% ABV
- Smoke Wagon Straight Bourbon Whiskey – Private Barrel – Bayway Liquors – 58.76% ABV
- Barrel Craft Spirits Rye – Cask Strength – Batch 1 – 58.5% ABV
Stay tuned for each day’s announcement!
Tasting #58: Kaiyo Whisky
On Wednesday, August 26th, the Saratoga Whiskey Club had its 58th tasting. Jay Cole from Kaiyo Whisky joined us on a Zoom call to go over their Japanese brand and whisky portfolio. It was great having the Whisky Pirate join us for this story and really great whiskies.
Here is what we tasted:
- Kaiyo Japanese Mizunara Oak
- Kaiyo Japanese Mizunara Oak Cask Strength
- Kaiyo 7 Year The Single
- Kaiyo The Sheri 2nd Edition
- Kaiyo The Peated 2nd Edition
32 members were online using Zoom for this really fun tasting. Thank you, Jay!!
For scores, please visit our Scores page.
Tasting #32 Recap: For Peat’s Sake
On Wednesday, April 10th, and Thursday, April 25th, the Saratoga Whiskey Club had its first tasting that just focused on peat. We have had plenty of peated whiskies before, but they were usually from one area (Islay), so this tasting was different in that we had Speyside, Highlands, Japan and of course Islay. We also paired each whisky with different smoked snacks. There were 28 members in attendance.
Here is a list of the whiskies we tasted:
- Glenfiddich’s Fire & Cane – paired with Applewood smoked salame
- Ancnoc Cutter – paired with smoked Gouda and aged Cheddar
- Kaiyo The Peated – paired with Teriyaki beef jerky
- Port Charlotte 10 Year – paired with smoked mussels
- SMWS 10.118 ‘Enthralling pink and peat intensity’ – Bunnahabhain 10 Year – paired with smoked trout and smoked salmon
For scores from the tasting, please go to Scores.
Two fun evenings of education and great whisky. Cheers!
Tasting #10 Recap: World Whiskey Dinner
The Saratoga Whisk(e)y Club had Tasting #10 on Wednesday, September 13th, 2017. The focus of the evening was a World Whiskey Dinner where each whiskey was paired with a dish from that country. We had a large turnout of 35 people, both members and non-members. Five different whiskies were tasted, and the evening started with a Japanese cocktail. Here is the dinner pairing:
- We started with a Japanese highball using Mars Iwai Whiskey
- Kavalan Ex-Bourbon Single Cask, Cask Strength – Taiwan
- Paired with San Bei Ji Wings
- Paul John Classic Single Malt Whiskey – India
- Paired with Sweet Potato Pastry Spirals and Gujarati Wilted Cabbage Salad
- Mackmyra First Edition – Sweden
- Paired with Almost Famous Swedish Meatballs, Roasted Potatoes & Lingonberry Preserve
- New Zealand Whiskey Co. 24 Year 1989 Bottling – New Zealand
- Paired with Smoked Leg of Lamb with Asian Pear & Kiwi Salsa and a Carrot, Date, Mint & Seed Salad
- Domain de Hautes Glaces Single Malt – France
- Paired with Gateau Breton and a selection of French cheeses
Overall it was a wonderful evening of food and whiskey!
Please sign up for our quarterly newsletter if you are interested in learning about future tastings. Sometimes there are extra spaces available for non-members.
Here are some photos from the tasting.