by Saratoga Whiskey Club | Jan 4, 2021 | Tastings
Tasting #66: American Whiskey
On Wednesday, December 30th, the Saratoga Whiskey Club had its 66th tasting! It was the last tasting of the year and a great way to end it. We all can’t wait for 2021!! The focus of this tasting was American Whiskey. We dove into some Bourbons and then finished with 3 single casks from the Scotch Malt Whisky Society that were Bourbon, Rye and American Single Malt. On top of this, one of our members made ginger snap cookies with our logo on them! See the photo below. It was a really fun evening and a nice way to end the year. Here is what we tasted.
- Pre-Tasting Dram: Kyro Malted Rye Whisky – from Finland – yes, not American
- Penelope Straight Bourbon Whiskey – Rose Finish
- Elijah Craig Straight Bourbon Whiskey – Toasted Barrel Finish
- Knob Creek 12 Year Straight Bourbon Whiskey – 100 Proof
- SMWS RW2.1 American Rye Whiskey ‘Out of the ordinary – in a very good way!’
- SMWS B6.1 American Bourbon Whiskey ‘Ginger-spiced sponge’
- SMWS 142.1 American Single Malt Whiskey ‘Made in New York, New York’
53 members were online for this really great tasting.
For scores, please check here: Scores
by Saratoga Whiskey Club | Jan 28, 2019 | Tastings
Tasting #27 Recap: Great Bourbons
On Wednesdays, January 9 & 23, the Saratoga Whiskey Club had its first tasting of 2019. The focus of the tasting was Great Bourbons. These were bottles that were collected over the last year by the club. It was a great way to start off the new year! There were 36 members in attendance.
Here is a list of the whiskies we tasted:
- Weller 12 Year
- Old Ezra 7 Year Barrel Strength
- Elijah Craig Barrel Proof Batch 11, Spring ’16
- SMWS B5.1 – Dickel 13 Year
- Wild Turkey ‘Revival’
For scores from the tasting, please go to Scores.
Two wonderful evenings of Bourbon. Can’t go wrong with that to start the year! Cheers.
by Saratoga Whiskey Club | Mar 29, 2018 | Tastings
Tasting #16 Recap: 2017 Award Winners
The Saratoga Whisk(e)y Club had Tasting #16 on two nights, March 14 and March 28, 2018. The focus of the evening was Award-Winning whiskies from 2017. We had a very large turnout of 30 people for the two tastings. We had four different award-winning whiskies at our tasting, a Scotch, an Irish, a Bourbon and a Rye. Here is a list of what we tasted:
- We started with a Kelso Pilsner or IPA
- Glenmorangie Astar – Ranked #2 Whiskey of the Year by Whiskey Advocate Magazine
- Redbreast 12 Cask Strength – A continual winner in its category by the World Whisky Awards
- Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, Batch B517 – Ranked #1 Whiskey of the Year by Whiskey Advocate Magazine
- Kentucky Owl 11 Year Rye – Figured this needed an award as well for 2017!
Overall it was a fantastic tasting with lots of special whiskies!
Please sign up for our quarterly newsletter if you are interested in learning about future tastings. Sometimes there are extra spaces available for non-members.
Here are some photos from the tasting.