Tasting #19 Recap: Drams For Fams
On Wednesday, May 23, 2018, the Saratoga Whiskey Club took part in a North American initiative started by the Edmonton Scotch Club in Canada called Drams For Fams (#Drams4Fams). The purpose of the initiative is to raise money for a local food bank or other charity in the form of a whiskey tasting. Many different clubs in Canada and the United States took part in this and a lot of money was raised. It was great to be a part of this and we look forward to making an even bigger contribution next year.
The format for our tasting was a lot of fun. Bottles were donated by members and the club for this tasting. All money raised went directly to charity. Participants were able to taste up to 10 different whiskies of the 13 that we had available for the group. Henry Street Taproom provided us a great spot in their restaurant and some awesome appetizers as well. It was a perfect night for tasting a lot of whiskey (but then again, when is it not the perfect night!). All in all, we had 22 people attend this great evening.
Here are the whiskies we tasted and the scores they received:
- Blood Oath Pact #4 Bourbon – Score of 88 (avg. of 10 scores)
- High West American Prairie – Score of 83 (avg. of 5 scores)
- Michter’s Barrel Strength Rye – Score of 85 (avg. of 9 scores)
- Elmer T. Lee Bourbon – Score of 87 (avg. of 6 scores)
- Glenmorangie Lasanta – Score of 75 (avg. of 3 scores)
- Ardbeg Auriverdes – Score of 83 (avg. of 6 scores)
- Boone County 12 Year Single Barrel Bourbon – Score of 84 (avg. of 7 scores)
- Glenmorangie Spios – Score of 82 (avg. of 5 scores)
- Whip Saw Rye Whiskey – Score of 82 (avg. of 9 scores)
- Pikesville Rye – Score of 84 (avg. of 2 scores)
- Weller Antique 107 – Score of 79 (avg. of 4 scores)
- Laphroaig Cairdeas – Score of 83 (avg. of 3 scores)
- Johnnie Walker Blade Runner Director’s Cut – No Score
A fantastic evening was had by all. We can’t wait for next year!