by Saratoga Whiskey Club | May 7, 2019 | Tastings
Tasting #34 Recap: Drams For Fams 2019
On Thursday, May 2nd, the Saratoga Whiskey Club took part for the second year in the North American Drams For Fams charity benefit. Drams for Fams was started a few years ago by the Edmonton Scotch Club in Edmonton, Canada, as a way to use their love for whisky tasting to raise money for the local Edmonton Food Bank. Last year we joined them along with a number of other whiskey clubs throughout Canada and the United States. Over $50,000 was raised since the idea was started.
Our club benefit whiskey tasting was held at Henry Street Taproom in Saratoga Springs, NY. HST was kind enough to donate the space to hold the event as well as provide tasty appetizers. Whiskey was donated by members of the Saratoga Whiskey Club and by some brands. Money raised from ticket sales ($50 per ticket) is being donated to the Franklin Community Center, our local support center for families in need of food and supplies. The Saratoga Whiskey Club raised $1250 this year.
The goal for 2020 is to double this club initiative.
17 whiskies were donated and 25 members attended this wonderful evening of sampling and comraderie. It’s exciting to see the 13 clubs that are now involved in this charity and how much money is being raised this year. We are proud to be a part of this group.
Here are some photos from the evening.
by Saratoga Whiskey Club | May 31, 2018 | Tastings
Tasting #19 Recap: Drams For Fams
On Wednesday, May 23, 2018, the Saratoga Whiskey Club took part in a North American initiative started by the Edmonton Scotch Club in Canada called Drams For Fams (#Drams4Fams). The purpose of the initiative is to raise money for a local food bank or other charity in the form of a whiskey tasting. Many different clubs in Canada and the United States took part in this and a lot of money was raised. It was great to be a part of this and we look forward to making an even bigger contribution next year.
The format for our tasting was a lot of fun. Bottles were donated by members and the club for this tasting. All money raised went directly to charity. Participants were able to taste up to 10 different whiskies of the 13 that we had available for the group. Henry Street Taproom provided us a great spot in their restaurant and some awesome appetizers as well. It was a perfect night for tasting a lot of whiskey (but then again, when is it not the perfect night!). All in all, we had 22 people attend this great evening.
Here are the whiskies we tasted and the scores they received:
- Blood Oath Pact #4 Bourbon – Score of 88 (avg. of 10 scores)
- High West American Prairie – Score of 83 (avg. of 5 scores)
- Michter’s Barrel Strength Rye – Score of 85 (avg. of 9 scores)
- Elmer T. Lee Bourbon – Score of 87 (avg. of 6 scores)
- Glenmorangie Lasanta – Score of 75 (avg. of 3 scores)
- Ardbeg Auriverdes – Score of 83 (avg. of 6 scores)
- Boone County 12 Year Single Barrel Bourbon – Score of 84 (avg. of 7 scores)
- Glenmorangie Spios – Score of 82 (avg. of 5 scores)
- Whip Saw Rye Whiskey – Score of 82 (avg. of 9 scores)
- Pikesville Rye – Score of 84 (avg. of 2 scores)
- Weller Antique 107 – Score of 79 (avg. of 4 scores)
- Laphroaig Cairdeas – Score of 83 (avg. of 3 scores)
- Johnnie Walker Blade Runner Director’s Cut – No Score
A fantastic evening was had by all. We can’t wait for next year!