Tasting #22 Recap: Annual Whiskey Club Dinner – Bourbon & BBQ
On Wednesday, August 8, 2018, the Saratoga Whiskey Club held its annual dinner feast. The theme for this year was Bourbon and BBQ. We had close to 40 people in attendance for this great evening of outdoor dining and tasting. The weather cooperated for us which was nice!
Here is a list of the whiskies we tasted and the food that they were paired with:
- We started with a Maker’s Mark Bourbon Slushie
- Barton’s 1792 Full Proof – Loch & Key Society Barrel Pick – Paired with a slow roasted Pork Belly (braised with Old Grand Dad 114) and topped with a Grilled Peach and a Bourbon Peach Sauce (that contained some Small Batch Barton’s 1792)
- Weller Special Reserve – Paired with a Smoked Chicken Caesar Salad
- Rebel Yell 10 Year Single Barrel – Paired with Smoked Baby Back Ribs (Johnny Drum was used in the BBQ sauce), Homemade Baked Beans, Cole Slaw, and Cornbread
- David Nicholson Reserve – Paired with Smoked Beef Short Ribs which were braised in Michter’s Bourbon and served with a Waldorf Salad
- Michter’s Toasted Barrel Rye – Paired with Truly Decadent Bacon Brownies and Ben & Jerry’s Urban Bourbon Ice Cream
A big shout out to Primal for helping us with good pricing on most of the meat served at this dinner!
Thank again to Primal!! And here’s to another great annual dinner!! Cheers.
Tasting #14 Recap: Oyster-Paired Whiskey Dinner
The Saratoga Whisk(e)y Club had Tasting #14 on Wednesday, January 31, 2018, at Henry Street Taproom. Chef Matt Weekes dished up some great courses that we paired with various whiskies from different countries. It was a six-course dinner and four of the courses were oyster-focused. It was a fantastic evening of 19 people and everyone had a great time. Most of the pairings were on point and we look forward to more Henry Street Taproom events in the future.
Here is a list of the courses and the whiskies that we paired:
- Course 1 – East Coast Raw Oysters – Savage Harbor Blondes from Prince Edward Island paired with Talisker Distiller’s Edition 2015
- Pairing Comments: “Yes, yes, yes, yes, great, yes, good, works, two thumbs up, great, great, A, very good”
- Course 2 – Salad Course – Charred Beet and Citrus Salad
- Course 3 – West Coast Raw Oysters – Gigamotos from British Columbia paired with Glenmorangie Nectar D’or
- Pairing Comments: “No, yes, yes, yes, fav!, yup, okay, spice strong, 5 out of 10, good, not as good, B, eh”
- Course 4 – Fried oysters atop a corncake with deviled egg mousse paired with Teeling Single Cask Carcavelos
- Pairing Comments: “great, yes!!, yes!, o yea, good, wrong oyster, swap with #2, well-paired, A-, very good”
- Course 5 – Baked oysters with bacon and horseradish paired with Jefferson’s Ocean-Aged Small Batch Bourbon
- Pairing Comments: “delish, yes x2, fantastic yes, yes!, delish, very good, favorite, dulled whiskey, really good, bacon washed out whiskey”
- Course 6 – Hudson Valley Duck Breast served atop a faro risotto paired with Oban 14
- Pairing Comments: “nice, yes yes yes, excellent, hell yea, good, two thumbs up, good, very very good”
What a great night, whiskey and food!
Please sign up for our quarterly newsletter if you are interested in learning about future tastings. Sometimes there are extra spaces available for non-members. We’ll also keep you up to date with our upcoming events!